valeriepelnar

Val's BookBlog

The Media is killing Game of Thrones

— feeling angry
A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones / A Clash of Kings / A Storm of Swords / A Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin

I've been getting a crude feeling watching GOT lately.

I hate the way the show is featured on every space, angle, and inch of the internet. I can't open up my news page without a new GOT headline or a spoiler.

I hate that there are now apps predicting a new character's death. I hate the way the violence has become less about ideas and more about entertainment. I hate all the noise surrounding the show.

On a pure level I think the show is beautiful, and I view it as a separate entity from the books. I know some people who refuse to watch the show because they do not want to tarnish their reading experience. I don't see it that way. I like experiencing Martin's story through a different artistic medium.

But I may take the purists side on this one. I've realized I have to watch the show alone or when the seasons have all passed. It is impossible to enjoy something so exposed. It is impossible to watch something with people applauding violence. I am not surprised Martin has become a hermit. People are coming after him with pitchforks on the internet.

Long ago Martin had a story about war and put it to paper. It was a story created by an artist and destroyed by his audience.