valeriepelnar

Val's BookBlog

A Valentine for Anne Frank

Working at a library I am fortunate to process all the new books that have been added to our collection. I've often (humorously) complained to people that employment at a library is a detriment; work starts to get avoided when you want to read every new thing that arrives on your desk.

Our library is setting up a 'Global Education' exhibit, and one of the books featured will be 'The Diary of Anne Frank.' Like most kids I read Anne Frank in middle school, but being so young I couldn't comprehend the magnitude of the book. The new copy we received is a new edition, and of course I started to flip through it after cataloguing.

I was struck how detailed her passages were. The emotions were palpable. I had forgotten about Anne's earlier passages describing her life before confinement. There were issues with her mother, school life, and other ordinary teenage angst.

At the beginning of her hiding, Anne's tone is hopeful. It is not long before her optimism starts to deplete. Reading this on the other side felt like a slow burn. In one wrenching passage she writes about wanting to laugh, but the sheer act of it drains her energy.

Today the internet is breaking with messages or memes to people we love. Why should Anne be discounted from this? So I am going to reach out to the other side. I want to give Ms. Frank a special thanks for influencing me as a writer and a survivor.